97.3fm
Brisbane's widest variety of music from the '80s to now

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Two Million Cars To Be Recalled Due To Exploding Airbags

The federal government is expected to take the unusual step of ordering a recall of more than two million cars fitted with Takata airbags which have caused deaths worldwide, including at least one death in Australia.

Assistant Minister to the Treasurer Michael Sukkar is expected to make the announcement on Wednesday, News Corp reports.

Manufacturers Audi, Ford, Holden and Volkswagen are among the carmakers that will be expected to urgently replace the airbags, which can explode, for free.

The Australian recall is one of the largest of its kind and follows voluntary recalls by carmakers last year impacting 1.7million vehicles.

Earlier this week, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has made a formal recommendation to the Federal Government to include the European-manufactured vehicles previously left off the recall list.

RACQ’s Head of Technical and Safety Policy Steve Spalding said the recall was a positive move in a statement on the RACQ website.

"It shows manufacturers are doing their part to improve the safety of drivers and passengers in these affected vehicles," Mr Spalding said.

"While car owners should be contacted by letter, if you’re concerned your vehicle is impacted, contact the manufacturer and get their advice on what to do. Repairs under a recall will be free of charge."

with AAP and RACQ

Share this: