Brisbane's widest variety of music from the '80s to now

Now Playing:

Listen on

Aussie Fisherman Survives Great White JUMPING Into His Boat

Image: Marine Rescue Evans Head

Fishermen are known for telling tall tales, but a 73-year-old NSW man has an extraordinary story after a 2.7-metre great white shark, weighing 200kg, ended up in his boat.

Terry Selwood was enjoying a quiet moment of fishing offshore at Evans Head on the NSW north coast on Saturday afternoon, when the visitor suddenly jumped aboard his 4.5-metre boat.

"He came right over the top of the motor and then dropped onto the floor," Mr Selwood told ABC on Monday.


Marine Rescue Evans Head

The shocked fisherman was knocked over by the shark and left sprawling on the floor of the boat.

"There I was on all fours and he's looking at me and I'm looking at him and then he started to do the dance around and shake and I couldn't get out quick enough onto the gunwale," Mr Selwood said.

"I was losing a fair amount of blood, I was stunned, I couldn't register what happened and then I thought oh my God, I've got to get out of here."

He grabbed his radio and called the local marine rescue volunteers at Evans Head.

A crew rescued Mr Selwood before returning to retrieve his boat with the uninvited passenger.


Marine Rescue Evans Head

The conditions were calm and Mr Selwood said there was no surface fish or clear reason why the shark would breach.

"I didn't have a burly out, which does attract sharks," he said.

"I was using two little bits of blue pilchard to fish for snapper on the bottom of the ocean, but that line was straight under the boat, not out the back where he came from."

"For some unknown reason he just launched himself out of the water and he must have come up four feet out of the water to clear my outboard motor and drop straight in the boat."

The Department of Primary Industries said the shark was a great white which was removed from the boat with a forklift and taken for an autopsy to confirm its age and gender.

Mr Selwood, who has been fishing for close to 60 years, says he never experienced anything like this.


Share this: