Florida Shooting Suspect Charged With 17 Counts Of Murder
Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz has been formally charged with 17 counts of first-degree murder.
It could mean a death sentence if he is convicted.
A grand jury in Fort Lauderdale returned the indictment on Wednesday against the 19-year-old for the Valentine's Day massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland in which 17 people died and 16 were wounded.
JUST IN: Grand jury indicts Nikolas Cruz on 34 counts, including 17 counts of premeditated murder and 17 counts of attempted murder pic.twitter.com/D3pEPyODuj— NBC News (@NBCNews) March 7, 2018
The indictment also charges Cruz with 17 counts of attempted murder.
Cruz's public defender has said he will plead guilty if prosecutors take the death penalty off the table, which would mean a life prison sentence.
The Broward County state attorney has not announced a decision on the death penalty.
The couple who provided a home to Cruz before the massacre had earlier given evidence before the grand jury considering the case charges.
James and Kimberly Snead each spent about half an hour in closed-door evidence on Wednesday before the panel.
Their lawyer Jim Lewis says they answered all questions and were fully cooperative.
BREAKING NEWS: Nikolas Cruz formally charged with 17 counts of murder in Valentine’s Day massacrehttps://t.co/dPIkZIM2Ce— Fox News (@FoxNews) March 7, 2018
Lewis says the couple were shocked by what happened and did not foresee Cruz doing something like the shooting.
The Sneads took in Cruz after he briefly lived with a family friend following the death of his mother in November.