Heartbreaking Moment Toddler Can't Wake Overdose Mum
The distressing moment a young girl cries as she tries to wake her mother, who has passed out in the aisle of a supermarket, has been released by police in an effort to show the consequences of drug abuse.
The toddler, who is dressed in pyjamas, can be seen pulling and shaking the unidentified woman before passers-by intervene and contact emergency services.
It's believed the 36-year-old woman had overdosed on an oral solution of heroin, and officers who attended the scene confirmed that they had found drug paraphernalia in the child's nappy bag; they also revealed that, after being revived with two doses of Narcan, the woman told police she "was just tired and dozed off".
Now Massachusetts police are hoping that, by releasing the startling footage, more attention will be drawn to the reality of drug addiction.
"It's heartbreaking," James Fitzpatrick, police chief of Lawrence PD, explained. "This is definitely evidence that shows what addiction can do to someone and what happens when they use these types of narcotics.
"They can see firsthand the power of the narcotic and fentanyl. She’s lucky to be alive and you see someone in the throes of addiction like that, and what they’re willing to sacrifice."
The two-year-old is now in the custody of the Department of Children and Families.
Warning: Contents may be distressing to some viewers
Video via Fox25
Trending now: JonBenet Ramsey's Brother Speaks Out For The First Time