Brisbane's widest variety of music from the '80s to now

Now Playing:

Listen on

Injured Gunman In Standoff With Police In Tense Situation


A 12-hour siege west of Brisbane has been resolved peacefully after the alleged offender was found passed out inside an apartment.

Police were called to the Ipswich suburb of Woodend about 8.30pm on Sunday night after neighbours of a unit complex reported a disturbance.

A woman aged in her 30s was found unconscious at the scene and was taken to hospital to be treated for a broken leg.

Police said she was hurt when she fell while trying to get inside the home.

An injured man remained holed up inside the building and police declared an emergency, believing he was armed.

Negotiators attempted to communicate with him for hours but he refused to co-operate.

Just before 9.30am, officers made the decision to force their way in because he had not responded for some time.

"Police have entered the unit and located the male asleep or unconscious and he's been taken into custody and being treated by the ambulance,' Inspector Michael Trezise said at the scene.

He said the unit was still being searched for weapons and the man had suffered a broken leg and facial injuries, but police did not use any force.

"All these matters are treated very seriously until we can determined otherwise," he said.

"There were certainly reports early on that he was armed and agitated so police responded appropriately."

Insp Trezise confirmed there was a domestic-related incident prior to police arriving but said investigations were still underway into whether there were third parties involved.

He said police were not disappointed the incident escalated to an emergency situation, adding that officers were well-trained to deal with them safely.

"These matters have to be resolved," he said.

"Unfortunately, they're not as uncommon as police would like."

National domestic violence helpline: 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT. In an emergency call triple-zero.


An injured man armed with a gun is refusing to give himself up to police at a home west of Brisbane.

There's a heavy police presence outside a unit in the Ipswich suburb of Woodend, after the gunman was involved in a fight at the property early on Monday.

Police say the gunman threatened two other men who'd been inside the unit.

A woman who was found unconscious inside the property was helped outside by police and has been taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The gunman is now alone inside the property and is refusing to co-operate with police negotiators.

"We know he's received some injuries. We are extremely reluctant to force entry ... knowing he has possession of weapons," Ipswich Inspector Keith McDonald has told ABC radio.

"We have two witnesses who were in the unit at the time who were threatened with a long arm."

The ambulance service said the woman, aged in her 30s, suffered back and leg injuries.

An emergency situation was declared about 1am on Monday after police were called to the scene following reports of a disturbance.

Elizabeth Street, where the unit is located, remains blocked off.


Share this: