Families Briefed On Final MH370 Report
The wife of a man who died on board flight MH370 is angry the Malaysian government didn't offer to fly her from Australia for a briefing on the final report until the last minute.
The report, to be released later on Monday, is expected to contain the final details of the investigation into the Malaysia Airlines plane that vanished carrying 239 people, including six Australians, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014.
Malaysia's Transport Minister Anthony Loke had promised to brief relatives of those on board before the report was publicly released.
But Danica Weeks, who lost her husband Paul in the tragedy, said an offer to fly her to the briefing from Queensland only came on Thursday, which was too little notice for a mother-of-two with a full-time job and pets.
"Unfortunately, I'm not there today. A few of us, international families, have been unable to make it in that time frame so I'm very angry about that," Ms Weeks said.
"We are refreshing the page until the report comes in our emails."
Victoria-based Jennifer Chong, whose husband Chong Ling Tan was on the flight, said foreign next of kin were not able to watch the briefing in Putrajaya via videolink because Malaysia Airlines believed full confidentiality could not be guaranteed.
Grace Nathan, a Malaysian lawyer whose mother Anne Daisy was on the plane, tweeted from the briefing, saying relatives were putting very difficult questions to the investigation team.
"There is a lack of depth in the answers and no adequate answer to some pertinent queries," she wrote.
Ms Weeks said she hoped the report would be thorough and contain the plane's manifest, but she was pessimistic.
"It's what we've been asking for, for so long but I'm not holding my breath," she said.
Mr Loke vowed earlier this month that "every word recorded by the investigation team will be tabled in this report".
The search for MH370 ended in May after US-based seabed survey firm Ocean Infinity failed to locate the plane in the Indian Ocean under a "no find, no fee" deal with Malaysia.
That four-month effort came after the official search led by Australia, Malaysia and China was called off in early 2017.
Ms Weeks said the search had to go on as the crash may have been due to a problem with the Boeing 777 model.
"They need to keep searching - that's a given," she said.
"I understand that without new information, you're throwing the dice and hoping it's there.
"It's a matter of elimination. It's got to be somewhere.
"They can't just push it under the carpet and say 'that's it'."
Several theories have emerged about how the plane disappeared, with some suggesting it was deliberately crashed into the sea by the pilot.