Brisbane's widest variety of music from the '80s to now

Now Playing:

Listen on

Motive Of Attempted New York Terror Attack Revealed

A man has been detained by police after causing an attempted terror attack in New York during the rush to work on Monday morning local time.

The accused, 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, is said to have "intentionally detonated" a bomb on an underground passageway near the Port Authority bus station on 42nd Street.

Police have said that the "improvised low-tech explosive device" was strapped to the man's body with Velcro and cable ties.

Since being arrested, Ullah has told police that his motive for the attack was due to recent Israeli actions in Gaza.

A surveillance camera caught footage of the attempted terror attack, showing the man walking casually through the crowded passage before the bomb exploded at 7.20am, letting off a cloud of white smoke. This eventually cleared to show the accused lying on the ground while pedestrians fled the area.

Police are now investigating whether the bomb was set off intentionally or if it went off prematurely.

"This was an attempted terrorist attack," said Mayor Bill de Blasio.

"Thank God the perpetrator did no achieve his ultimate goals."

Thankfully there were no major injuries but four people suffered ringing ears and headaches from the intense sound of the bomb exploding. Ullah is also being treated in hospital for burns to his hands and abdomen.

Law enforcement officials believe that Ullah had crafted the bomb after finding instructions on the internet. They believe he was inspired by ISIS but had not found any direct contact between the man and the extremist group.

Ullah is currently being interviewed by officials from his hospital bed while investigators searched his apartment and speak to witnesses.

This attempted terror attack comes just weeks after eight people died in New York after a man inspired by ISIS plowed a rented truck onto a bike path near the World Trade Center.

Share this: