New Lead Launches Second Search In William Tyrrell Case
Investigators searching for missing NSW boy William Tyrrell have opened a second "very specific" search zone in bushland four kilometres from where the three-year-old was last seen alive.
The shift in search areas is the result of information, unearthed by investigators some weeks ago, which relates to persons of interest in the toddler's disappearance, AAP understands.
The second zone, which is about 800 square metres in size, is a six-minute drive from William's foster grandmother's yard in the NSW mid-north coastal town of Kendall.
For the past two weeks, NSW police have been scouring bushland behind the Kendall home on Benaroon Drive, after it was announced in mid June officers would spend one month looking for clues to find the missing Sydney boy.
Police uncovered the new information weeks ago, before the forensic expedition began, but Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin said "now is the best time to search".
Police would not say if they had specific information the new patch of bushland had been visited by persons of interest in recent weeks.
But Mr Jubelin called on anyone who had seen suspicious activity at the site recently to come forward.
"We'd encourage anyone that has any information about a person or a vehicle that's been seen in the vicinity here around the time of William's disappearance - or more recently - acting suspiciously or looking out of place, we'd be very interested in them coming forward," he told reporters on Wednesday.
It's believed it will take officers, who spent the day picking through the bush with rakes and a cadaver dog, two days to cover the area.
They are looking for foreign objects related to William's disappearance.
The revelation comes a day after William would have turned seven.
Mr Jubelin said the search was launched to prove William disappeared because of human intervention, not misadventure.
Some 50 members of the NSW Police public order riot squad have been combing about three square kilometres of bushland.
Mr Jubelin had also hoped the fresh search would put pressure on those he believed did know something about the case.
"I strongly believe that there are people out there who have information on this and I want to make a point to those people that if you do have information concerning what happened to William, you are committing an offence if you do not come forward," he told reporters on June 13.
Mr Jubelin reiterated the $1 million reward for information leading to William's recovery.
He has previously said that bringing a large police presence to the original crime scene can increase the pressure on those who may have information.
"I want that person to feel that everyone's looking at them and let's see where that takes us."
Mr Jubelin at the time said investigators were not ruling out that William was still alive - but admitted they held very grave concerns.