Brisbane's widest variety of music from the '80s to now

Now Playing:

Listen on

Everyday Household Item That Is Deadly For Children

Woolworths, Coles, Aldi, Energiser Australia and office works are to adopt a new voluntary industry code to reduce the number of Australian children killed and injured after swallowing button batteries.

The Industry Code for Consumer Goods that Contain Button Batteries has been developed by a range of businesses, with support from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and state regulators.

The code is coming as a response to figures that show 20 Australian children are taken to emergency rooms every week after being exposed to button batteries.

"Children under the age of five are at the greatest risk," ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

"Once loose, children can easily mistake the batteries for lollies. This new Code is an important step towards ensuring children cannot access the batteries, thereby reducing the risk that they will swallow them."

The small disc-shaped batteries are currently used in children’s toys and kitchen scales but if they are swallowed they can burn through a oesophagus and have killed four children in Australia.

In order to comply with the code, retailers and manufactures must ensure products that require button batteries are designed so the battery cannot be accessed by young children.

They must have a battery compartment that is secured with a screw or bolt.

The code also requires information to be available at the point of sale, in a store and online, indicating that the product requires button batteries and that they are hazardous to young children.

Share this: