Two people confirmed dead in SA bushfire
South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill has confirmed two casualties from the blaze that is sweeping through the state this week.
The two deceased include a 56-year-old woman from Hamley Bridge and a 69-year-old man from Pinery.
There is also confirmation of 13 people who have been hospitalised - five of which have endured serious burns.
One patient has reportedly suffered burns to 80% of their body.
Victorian strike crews have touched down in South Australia to help relieve the CFS emergency crews and across the weekend, in hope of getting the fire under control as weather conditions continue.
Two people have been confirmed dead, with fears held for a third, in a bushfire burning out of control north of Adelaide.
Other people, including firefighters, have been injured and numerous buildings destroyed as the blaze roared across more than 85,000 hectares of cropping land on Wednesday, threatening a string of towns.
The blaze remained uncontrolled into the night with more than 300 firefighters on the ground and reinforcements on their way from interstate.
South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill confirmed the deaths and said it was the "worst of news".
The first involved a body found in a paddock at Pinery, near where the blaze started - the second was a person found dead in a car near Hamley Bridge.
The third, unconfirmed, death involved a person who crashed into a tree.
"This has been a devastating few hours for large parts of the state and unfortunately there is some time to go until we have fire fronts under control," Mr Weatherill said.
Uncontrolled fire near mallala is massivePosted by Ben Builder on Tuesday, 24 November 2015
The Country Fire Service said the blaze continued to burn on a 40km front and had a perimeter of about 211km.
Authorities said the next six to 12 hours would be critical and if weather conditions were favourable fire crews would attempt to place control lines in front of the blaze.
CFS chief officer Greg Nettleton said some of that perimeter would be easy to contain and render safe but other areas would take time to bring under control.
He said fire crews faced a number of days of hard work before the emergency was over.
Strike teams and water bombing aircraft would be brought from interstate on Thursday to help local efforts.
A more detailed assessment of property and stock losses was also expected with initial reports suggesting a number of homes and other buildings and infrastructure had been destroyed or damaged.
That included a large piggery near Wasleys and a water storage tank used to supply Mallala.
"This is a particularly nasty fire. It will run right through the night and into tomorrow," Mr Nettleton said.
"It's going to be a long haul for many of our crews."
Wind gusts of about 80km/h buffeted the fire zone soon after the blaze was sparked ahead of a southwesterly change that swept through the area, pushing the blaze to the northeast.
Many roads were closed with power cut to about 20,000 properties at one stage.
Bureau of Meteorology acting regional director John Nairn said weather conditions on Wednesday would have created unusual and uncontrollable flare-ups.
"It was very ugly conditions for the firefighters," he said.