Yumi's Chicken Wing Recipe Is SO Good It Converted A Vego
"Not only are these the best chicken wings ever, they're also unreal cold. I always make extra and put them into ziplock bags for weekday lunches, or take them to non-cook friends, or use them as bribes. I once swapped a batch of these for a brand-new double bed, no kidding."
- Yumi Stynes
2 whole heads of garlic, the fresher the better, peeled and trimmed
1 8cm piece of ginger, or about 100g, peeled or not and chopped loosely
1 long red chilli, de-seeded
500g plain honey
500g Kikkoman soy sauce (It’s important to use Japanese style soy sauce here as the character of the sauce varies greatly depending on country of origin)
2.5kg of chicken wings or what the supermarket sometimes calls “chicken nibbles”, third joint discarded.
WATCH: Yumi's step by step guide to making her 'Vegetarian Converting Chicken Wings' recipe. PLEASE NOTE: Explicit language.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees. Have the oven racks on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Put all the marinade ingredients in the food processor and blend for 2 minutes.
- Line 3 high-sided baking trays with foil first, then baking paper.
- Cram all the chicken in, skin-side down.
- Spoon the marinade over the chicken. You should use about 1/4 of the mix. Store the rest in a glass jar in the fridge with the lid tightly screwed on.
- Bake for 30 min, then turn it over. Another 20 mins, then turn the chicken again, bake for another 15 or until it's looking sticky and dark.
Total cooking time: 65 minutes