Some people are missing beers, some are missing brunch and some of us are missing something slightly more specific…
… The delicious Swedish meatballs from the Ikea’s in-store restaurant!
The recipe makes 16-20 meatballs and is only 6 easy steps for the culinarily challenged.
- 500g beef mince
- 250g pork mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
For the cream sauce
- dash of oil
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 150ml beef stock
- 150ml thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
For the meatballs
- Combine beef and pork mince until all lumps are smoothed. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix. Then add milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Grab small handfuls and roll into a ball shape. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, this helps them firm up and hold their shape.
- Heat oil on medium in a frying pan. Once hot, add your meatballs and fry until brown on all sides.
- Add to an ovenproof dish and cover with aluminium. Place in an oven (180°C or 160°C fan) and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Swedish cream sauce
- Melt 40g of butter in a frying pan. Whisk in 40g of plain flour stirring continuously for 2 minutes. Stir in 150ml of vegetable stock + 150ml of beef stock. Stir in 150ml thick double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Recommended to be served with potatoes!