Queensland will shut its borders to travellers from Greater Melbourne from 1am on Saturday after Victoria went into a five-day lockdown.
A coronavirus outbreak, connected to the Holiday Inn at Melbourne Airport, has grown to 13 cases, with Premier Daniel Andrews ordering the entire state into a five-day hard lockdown on Friday.
Queensland declared the city a hotspot, and Acting Health Minister Steven Miles said any travellers who have been to Melbourne will be ordered into hotel quarantine from 1am on Saturday.
He said the closure will give contact tracers time to track 1500 people in Queensland linked to the outbreak in Melbourne.
“This hotspot declaration will allow us to get on top of our contact tracing over that five-day period and monitor the situation there. It will allow us to protect Queenslanders and to support our public health officers doing that contract tracing work and not adding to their workload, while they are racing to get to those contacts,” Dr Miles told reporters.
All travellers entering Queensland will need to make a formal declaration to confirm they haven’t been in Melbourne since January 29.
Police will be meeting passengers on all flights coming into Queensland and randomly checking cars entering the state.
Queensland previously announced it would bar entry to anyone who has been to exposure sites in Melbourne from 1am on Saturday, but the new health order supersedes that.