Three teenagers have extensive burns after they were shocked by shocks from high-voltage power lines on a Gold Coast rail line.
Paramedics say the boys had climbed over a safety barrier at Pimpama on Thursday night and were sitting on a bridge when the electricity from the lines arced.
Two boys suffered burns, ranging in severity from full to partial thickness, to half of their bodies. They remain in hospital in serious condition.
— The Today Show (@TheTodayShow) September 6, 2018
The third boy is also in hospital in a stable condition.
Ambulance spokesman Allan Windsor said the teens had done a stupid thing getting so close to the power lines.
“Apparently what happened is they climbed over the bridge there and sat on the concrete barriers that support the bridge to admire the view,” he said.
“The electricity from the high-voltage wires has arced across … It’s very stupid … they can arc … that’s why they have those safety barriers and fences there.”
Queensland Rail is investigating the incident.