Milder temperatures will give bushfire crews across Queensland a brief opportunity to get blazes under control before the fire danger spikes again on Friday.
Almost 80 fires are still burning from the southeast corner to Lockhart River in the far north, destroying 33,000 hectares of bushland since the crisis began late last week.
The most dangerous blaze at Peregian on the Sunshine Coast has been downgraded overnight, but thousands of Sunshine Coast residents remain displaced.
More than 5000 people from 2500 homes were evacuated within 24 hours due to the fire, which could have been lit on purpose.
That fire is still not contained, but was eased on Tuesday with the help of a 737 aircraft that dumped 15,000 litres of fire suppressant on the flames.
That region received some brief showers overnight but not enough to extinguish the fire.
Little rain is expected anywhere in the state in the foreseeable future.
The Bureau of Meteorology says cooler temperatures and lighter winds on Wednesday and Thursday will be favourable for fire fighters.
However the fire danger will spike again on Friday and Saturday when temperatures rise again.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services says at least 17 homes and five commercial properties have been destroyed by bushfires since Thursday, with many more damaged.
Eight fires – in Brisbane, Stanthorpe, the southeast and central Queensland regions – are being probed by a special police taskforce for potential arson.
Fire crews from South Australia and Victoria will arrive on Wednesday to give support.